Rob. Forberg Musikverlag was founded in Leipzig in 1862 by August Robert Forberg (1833-1880). By 1908 the catalog already consisted of more than 6.000 works from composers such as Mendelssohn, Rheinberger, d’Albert and Richard Strauss.
Forberg’s artistic orientation is characterized by a strong focus on Russian music. This commitment began in 1882, when Russian publisher P. J. Jurgenson, who had discovered Tchaikovsky years before, opened an office in Leipzig in the same building as Forberg; in the beginning of the 20th century, the branch was taken over by Forberg. As a result, Forberg played a leading role in raising awareness for composers such as Tchaikovsky, Balakirev and Tcherepnin in Western Europe.
Over the years, Forberg’s repertoire became one of the most important catalogues of Russian music, including Tchaikovsky’s ballets and works like Rachmaninoff's The Rock
, Prokofiev’s First Piano Concerto
, Stravinsky’s Le Roi des Ètoiles
and Rimsky-Korsakov’s The Golden Cockerel